Saturday, June 26, 2010

hOMe

I feel most at home on my yoga mat. There is such an intimacy that one feels with self when body, mind and spirit is connected. It is hard to believe these work individually, but in my case they often do. Such as when I run my mind is not always connected to my body; my body says go, go, go, and mind says you can't do this. On the mat my spirit says you can totally do a headstand, but my body does not know how. Yoga teaches me presence is to be fully connected to my body, mind, emotions and spirits. I challenge this daily as I often let my emotion take control of my body and so on. On the way to class this morning I was a little rushed as I was finally able to chat with my eldest sister for a few moments on the phone and did not want to hang up with her so eventually I left with Alistair and Paula still chatting away...anyways, I was rushed and there was NO way I was going to miss yoga today. So I put the sub to the test and drove fast and hard. Unfortunately, those drivers I shared the road with were not aware of my need to make it to class and took their sweet time. I felt rage growing inside of me and at one time yelled at a lady for not going on a green (I was inside my car with the windows up, but still I yelled out loud). I knew this action was stupid and childish yet I did it anyway because I was allowing my emotion to take over. Through yoga I am taught how to live in the present moment and I am able to acknowledge that this anger isn't working for me and let it go. These teachings are what brings me back every day. I wonder if I had not missed yoga for a week would I have yelled at the lady? Or would I have been more self aware? Well I made it to class with a few moments to spare found a great spot right up front and melted into my mat. I breathed and thought I am hOMe. I wonder where do you feel most at home?

I was starving when I arrived at my second home and blended a green monster. This is very tasty and refreshing on a warm day. Give it a try...

In blender 1) 1TBS flax 2)2-3cups spinach 3)banana 4)blueberries 5) 1 cup milk of your choice (I use rice milk) - Blend on highest setting for a minute or so then add ice and blend on the ice setting. Voila! Green Monster...

While I was at yoga Alistair was cooking away in the kitchen. Since his birthday dinner from Abu's he has been craving Gyro's. He wanted to make his own...so he did. He spent $40 on groceries and made lamb gyro, vegetarian (tofu) gyro for me, Spanakopita and Tzaki Sauce. Below is the vegetarian option...


Yummy! Allie was not happy with the lamb gyro; he states that it was too bland. he will be adding much more seasoning next time. Believe me there will be a next time. Now for the Spanakopita...This was delicious. Allie is happy with it as well.


1 lb.
Fresh spinach OR
10 oz.
Frozen spinach (I prefer the frozen)
2 T
Olive Oil or butter (for saute)
1
Large yellow onion, finely chopped
1/3 lb.
Feta cheese
2 T
Fresh parsley, finely chopped
6 T
Flour
18-20
Phyllo sheets 3 Cubes
Butter, salt-free (for brushing phyllo)
4
Eggs

~PREPARATION~
FRESH SPINACH: Rinse and stem the spinach, chop into small pieces or tear into shreds. Drain well to thoroughly dry.
In a large saute pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil or melt the butter. Add the spinach and chopped onions and saute until the spinach wilts and cooks down, approximately 5-minutes. Transfer to a sieve and drain well; set aside in large mixing bowl.
FROZEN SPINACH: Thaw thoroughly, drain real well. I also squeeze/press the water from it. Place in large mixing bowl.
In medium pan, saute the onions until translucent; add to bowl containing thawed spinach.
FETA CHEESE: Feta comes packed in brine, so you'll want to give it a quick rinse under cold water. Let it drain on a paper towel for a couple minutes. Then you can crumble it into the bowl containing the spinach and onions.
Add the flour, chopped parsley and eggs; mix thoroughly.


PAN METHOD Click for Melt the 3 cubes of butter (low heat; don't let it bubble).
Brush the 9" x 13" baking pan with olive oil or melted butter.
Lay 6 phyllo sheets in the pan, lightly brushing each with oil or melted butter before adding the next layer. Brush all the edges first since that is where drying will begin.
Spoon half of the spinach mixture over the top of the phyllo and carefully spread evenly to within about 1/2 inch of the edges.
Lay 6 more phyllo sheets on top, brushing each one with oil or melted butter before adding the next layer.
Spread the remaining spinach mixture over the top.
Finish off with the remaining sheets of phyllo, brushing each as previously done.
Cover and chill for about 30 minutes to set.
Bake until golden, about 30-minutes. Test by inserting a table knife to the center. If it comes out relatively clean, your spanakopita is done. Don't let this go beyond golden brown.
Let cool for 5 to10-minutes to set, then cut into squares.
The flavor of Spanakopita is enhanced when served warm; it's even better at room temperature.


My boy hard at work...
After filling our bellies we set off for the grange co-op to get veggie plants for the garden. **Suggestion** Do not wait until the end of June to get your plants -There aren't any left!! We found some tomato (well a lot of tomato plants), celery, italian peppers, shallots, and peppers. We need to find some bell peppers and probably get one more tomato plant, but we are feeling good with the choices we made. So just to offer an excuse as to why we waited this late is because the weather has been shit. Seriously, it just stopped freezing here in Oregon.








As I cleaned the kitchen today, I thought to share my vitamins/supplements with you that I take daily. The bottles in the back that you can't see is Vitamin B and D. My doctor says everyone is vitamin d deficient. I swear by Acai berry juice...I take a swig of this every morning straight from the bottle and haven't been sick all year (and I work at child welfare - I am ALWAYS around sickies). I also do a Castor oil rub every night before falling asleep to help with digestion.


I went for an afternoon run 4 miles in the heat in 36 minutes. Tomorrow I have a 14 mile run to do, so I didn't want to push myself. Side note ...I haven't had Starbucks in two months (well Alistair and I went once last weekend before the camping trip, but other than that I have not spent a dollar for coffee). This all started in the beginning of May when I began a 3 week cleanse which meant no caffeine. After the cleanse I started drinking coffee again, but only home brewed and only 1-2 mugs a day. With all the money I have saved I have been able to purchase unlimited monthly passes to Rasa Yoga Center. I think that is a fabulous alternative, yes. Anyways, Wednesday on my way to hang with the little ones I was craving an iced coffee. Somehow, I was able to drive past Starbucks, but I did look back. Today after my run and time in the garden I made my very own iced coffee. Made coffee in the french press and then stuck in the freezer for about 45 minutes before it cooled down enough to be able to go over ice without melting it. I put a little half and half in the bottom, ice, then poured on the coffee...delicious...and it wasn't $4.00. Doesn't it look like it cost $4 though, seriously, I rocked this.

Tell tomorrow...namaste.

2 comments:

  1. hi sarah!
    love your account of getting to yoga...I have also found myself in similar predicaments, and as soon as I'm there on my mat, all the stress melts away, I find my breath and myself completely ready to be there. And I always wonder, why all the worry?? Btw, your blog is great! I love all the recipes and workouts. I'm looking forward to up-ing my mileage when I'm stateside again...for now I'm trying to acclimate to the 3,000ft elevation gain!
    Are you headed to shasta soon??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot! I can't imagine the elevation gain. I hope you have kicked that cold of yours and able to enjoy Costa Rica completely.

    Yes, shasta is next week. I leave on the first and return on the fourth. I am so looking forward to it. I do wish you were joining, but certainly understand the predicament of getting there=) xo

    ReplyDelete