Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sisterhood is PowerFULL

This week has been packed with the power of sisters. I have such amazing sisters (all womyn)! The week started with a sisterhood dinner which is an idea that was inspired at the yoga retreat early July. A few friends and I met for an evening of cooking and sharing a meal while engaging in thoughtful conversation. All meals are to be nutritious, healthy, seasonal and of course scrumptious. At the end of the evening each womyn gets the recipe. The host changes at each dinner (we chose once a month) and the host decides on the recipe and has all ingredients ready for the womyn to begin cooking at 6:00. It is easy to get swept away in our busy lives and not stop to truly enjoy our sisters, but by having this at least once a month I allow myself to be a small piece of the powerfull sisterhood.

So the Tri/Yoga Bingo Challenge will begin Monday, August 8. The intentions of this challenge are to 1) support triathletes/athletes, 2) do one thing a day that scares us 3)Sweat 4) support a healthy lifestyle and most importantly 5) support Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It is $10 to participate and the winner will win $50...whoop, whoop! All you have to do is exercise.

The activities involved in the challenge are 1) Enjoy your activity With A Friend 2) Yoga 3) Run 4) Swim 5) Your choice of activity 6) Tri Something New 7) Bike/Spin --- There are 30 spaces to be marked off in all. More than one activity can occur in a day, but not of the same activity (one can not mark off 3 runs, but one may mark off yoga, run and bike in a single day). The activity needs to occur for at least 30 consecutive minutes to count. The participant that blocks out the card first will win $50. I will send all the guidelines and card to you via email so please provide me with your email. I will send instructions on payment which will go directly to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I am currently decorating my card and will post soon.



Last night I made the most scrumptious dinner ever (yes, I am dramatic)! It was the best stir fry made with soba noodles (Gluten free: Although I don't really even know what gluten is...but apparently some people are really allergic to it!) and tempeh...yummy=)

I diced and chopped every last vegetable we had in the fridge (zucchini, baby carrots, bell peppers, onions and kale). Sauteed these veggies in coconut oil and terriyaki sauce. Oh, and I put in a few cashews which totally made the meal.



Yummy! I didn't feel that it was extremely filling though, probably because I had a long run and could have eaten my hand, but after I inhaled this I ate greek yogurt with a tablespoon of nutella.


Sorry, this is so out of order, but this is the beautiful place setting at the sisterhood dinner. Isn't it pretty?

The training team included my blood sister, Christie and my two eldest nephews, Justin and Kyle. The crew rode their bikes while I ran (actually jogged slowly). This was a super tough run for me. I felt extremely sluggish...booo! Oh, I purchased a Garmin! And loovvvveee it! oh, yah...this means I am hard core...tehehehehe


The training run ended at the Ashland Dog Park where we met Alistair and Ntombi. I love this dog park as long as dogs aren't whizzing on my leg.



We loaded up in the subaru and drove fast to Dragonfly where Coconut French Toast, Rosemary potatoes, rosemary toast and eggs awaited me. Oh, and coffee. We waited over an hour for the delicious food and then inhaled it within minutes once it arrived. I love long run days...

3 comments:

  1. The tri/yoga bingo challenge will begin Monday, August 9 (not august 8). It will be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sign me up!
    I`m not sure where you guys are at, but are we going to see you in SeasideÉ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicola! Thank you so much for your very generous donation to LLS. I am excited you are going to participate in the challenge! You look AMAZING! What have you been up to? I am sure chasing after two kids is in your training plan=)

    Allie is unable to get the time off of work for us to join you in Seaside. I was so looking forward to seeing you and the little ones...well not so little anymore. With summer it is hard for Allie to get away from the plant. We will be planning a trip in the fall to visit though. It has been too long.

    xo

    ReplyDelete