Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gifts Come In Many Forms

I am hoping this isn't a pattern that I let days and days go by without posting, but I have been up to some pretty amazing stuff. I can't remember whether I told you about the ring that I wear on my ring finger being tarnished at the mineral baths. First, the herstory regarding the ring...I was given my grandmothers wedding ring as a gift from my mother. My grandmother passed away several years ago, but before she passed she had lost her wedding ring so my mother and I purchased another one for her. It is very cute, but I'm not sure it was ever her style really. My grandmother was long, lean and matter of fact. The ring we purchased for her was more my style than hers it looked like a flower with a diamond in the middle. Well, when Alistair and I decided to marry my mother gave me the ring. I had the ring sized and wore it graciously. Then I lost some weight and the ring is far too big to stay on my finger so it sits in my jewelry box. I must admit that for some reason this ring never felt right on my finger. Unaware of the reasons why I have chosen not to have it sized again and wait for the reasons to come to me or to know who's finger it will feel right on. Maybe one of my nieces? If you haven't realized I am really big on feelings. Things have to "feel" right for me to pursue them. I then wore a special ring that is really only special to me because it symbolized being true to myself always even in a marriage. I have worn this ring for several years always revering my independence and strength as a womyn. Well while I was at the yoga retreat a few weekends ago I forgot to take off my ring during a soak so when I saw the silver turned to some other color I began to panic and think of ways to polish it. Within seconds I knew that it was time to let go of this ring and find a ring that symbolizes partnership. Yes! I think I am finally ready to give myself completely to my relationship. Sometimes these things take time=) So, I came home and the search began. Alistair and I looked at rings together. I found one or two that were nearly $1000 dollars (clearly unaffordable) and we settled on....



An Oregon Sun Stone. It is beautiful and it symbolizes partnership. I have never been the traditional diamond gal, but certainly appreciate the meaning behind diamonds, I appreciate even more originality and growth. This is original and it shows a whole lotta growth by ME!


Friday I started with a green monster (spinach, flax seeds, carrot juice, banana, blueberries and a splash of greek yogurt). I change the ingredients all the time and it always taste stellar. It fills me up for most of the morning which I am grateful for.

I then had an interview which I bombed due to my nervous nature. I literally felt like I could not breathe. I finally calmed down about half way through it...LOL...I love that I am so sensitive to the world and its people! I then ran on the treadmill for 4 miles and rode my bike for 7 miles.

For dinner I prepared a pasta bake. I boiled the noodles and sauteed onions, mushrooms and bell peppers. I mixed all together with cream of mushroom soup and poured it into the glass dish. I topped it off with Barbara's shredded wheat cereal (crunched) and a little asiago cheese. I cooked at 375 for 40 minutes and voila. It was delicious...it was missing some seasoning which can easily be added. I am so proud of myself for mixing things up. I normally follow recipes to a T, but I didn't even have a recipe I just went with what felt good. Yeah for growth in the kitchen.



For dessert a little gelato...yum, yum!

Saturday morning Alistair and I took the pups for a hike up Roxy Ann. I am not really sure of the distance, but it is uphill. I am training for the Mt. Ashland Hillclimb which is 13.1 miles all uphill. it is a doozey, but beautiful. So anyways, I ran up Roxy Ann which took about 4o minutes and then ran back down and back up till I ran into Allie and the pups (about half way). I then walked back down with the crew. Poor Maggie (the 12 year old golden retriever) looked worn out. Allie tried to carry her, but she didn't like it. We then got back to the house and I rode my stationary bike while watching a movie. I can't remember the name but it was something "Darkness" with Mel Gibson. it was really good. It captured my attention for almost all the movie which is really hard to do. I am thinking I may have some adult form of ADHD...maybe.



View of Medford - where I live.


After my workout I inhaled a cucumber, sprouts and cream cheese roll. This was eaten in 3 seconds...seriously-)


This morning I woke at 6:30 with the plan to run 14 miles while Alistair biked along my side. He didn't wake until 8ish and I was raring to go. When I began to ask about our leaving time he did not look happy and told me he wasn't sure he was up to the task. I walked away from the conversation sad and feeling let down. Instead of enjoying the great outdoors I set out on the treadmill. I ran about four miles when Alistair came in and told me he was ready to go. YIPPEE!!! The great outdoors and my jolly partner. We did 7.5 miles on the BCG. Here is the thing I forgot to put on deodorant...no biggie...I am use to smelling bad...YES, BIGGIE my armpits began to chafe at mile 4. I had red marks and I was in pain. I have never encountered this before --- Seriously, Armpit chafing...So I ended the run early at 7.5 rather than the additional 10 I needed to make my goal. ah, well, another lesson learned.

So, I came home put on some vaseline, grabbed the dogs and headed to the dog park. Last time I was at the dog park a poodle pee'd on me (and I didn't even have bad body odor) I was curious what today's adventure would bring. It was uneventful -- thank goodness. The pups enjoyed the water and playtime.




We then went to the market and spent $100 on groceries. I am in the process of incorporating only whole and natural ingredients in my cooking and kitchen. This can be a bit of a costly transition, but one that is well worth it. I buy a little bit each time I go to the market. I just bought SUper Natural Cooking Cookbook by Heidi Swanson and am learning a lot.

I even splurged on fresh cut flowers which is something I rarely do. Maybe once a year. They look gorgeous on my dining table, yes?


I am also in the process of organizing. Yeah, look at what I did...
And this...

We have decided to turn our laundry room into a pantry and put the washer and dryer in the garage. I am really excited for this to occur, but not so excited about the process. Alistair thinks it will be easy, but I have my reservations. Anyone have any idea if this will be difficult or as Alistair says simple? Oh, how I dream of a pantry to put all my whole and natural ingredients and canned goods.

1 comment:

  1. love your beautiful new ring ms. sarah. yay for partnerships and feeling strong within them. xo.

    ReplyDelete