Saturday, August 14, 2010

Reduce Reuse Recycle

Over the past few months I have gotten serious about transitioning my home to a reusing, recycling haven. I am so very close to being plastic bag free.

fact #1:
Plastic bags and other plastic garbage thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures a year! Ever heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? It's twice the size of Texas and is floating somewhere between San Francisco and Hawaii. It's also 80 percent plastic, and weighs in at 3.5 million tons.

Fact #2
Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour.

Fact #3

Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours. In spite of this, Americans throw away enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial fleet of airplanes every three months!

I am feeling good about 2 of the 3 R's - reuse and recycle; I got these. Reduce...I am having some issues with...And of course it is the first and the most important...grrrr!

To help my kitchen be plastic bag free I had to purchase a few reusable bags on etsy.

This bag holds all of my reusable bags for bulk items and fruit and vegetable bags. I purchased from lovetheearth on etsy!



Various colours and sizes for vegetables...








Reusable bag in use - has basmati rice inside.







The only plastic bags that have entered my home are from Alistair who made a quick shop. Being environmentally friendly takes planning. I have equipped both vehicles (if I were really friendly I would bike it to the grocery store!) with reusable bags for quick shops and planned shops. Alistair doesn't always remember he has them though.

There is also a technique to recycling and takes education to get it right.

A couple things you should not recycle:

You risk contaminating the rest of the products if you put these into your bin!
Pizza boxes. The oil from pizza can contaminate cardboard boxes, making it impossible to process them into clean paper.
Napkins and paper towels. It's not the paper goods themselves that present a problem, but the fact that they're typically used to wipe up food, cleaning products, and other "hazardous waste."
Sticky notes. Their size, color, and the adhesive strip make them a better bet for the trash bin.
Plastic caps. Curbside programs won't recycle them, but Aveda collects them and turns them into packaging for new products.
Wet paper. Paper fibers that have been exposed to water are shorter and therefore less valuable to paper mills, making it unprofitable to collect and recycle.
Another thing you may want to keep in mind is that while it’s generally well known that most curbside programs only take plastics labeled #1 and #2 on the bottom .Check in with your local waste or sanitation department to find out what the specific rules are in your area.

On to me:

Okay, I have been eating A LOT this week. My appetite truly tripled. I don't know what is going on. yes, I have increased my mileage, but not that much...my goodness. One morning I woke up at 2AM and felt like my stomach was going to eat itself...so very strange. I am trying to listen to my body, but come on. It may be that I stopped eating meat. However, it has been several months now and can't imagine that my body isn't use to the change yet. Alistair is not happy about this change, but I realized that I function better and my digestion is more smooth being meat free.

I would love any tips to tricking my stomach into feeling full or more filling foods. Also, does anyone have any recycling tips to share?

Enjoy your sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment