Sunday, September 5, 2010

Living Authentically

I love, love, love holidays! More than holidays, I love paid days off from work. Time to celebrate me and to dive into projects. This was a doozey of a work week and I was very much looking forward to the four day weekend. Thursday after work I came home to a lovely surprise sitting on my doorstep - my manduka mat! A couple months ago I decided to wash my yoga mat due to the stink that rose from it after too many bikram yoga classes. Well, I asked for advice as to how to wash the mat and was told that I could put it in my washer with seventh generation soap...so I did. And I shouldn't have. The stickiness totally was lost. I tried to work with it since it was a $70 mat that I just bought last year, but it just wasn't helping my practice. So, I invested in a manduka Eko Mat The reviews are fantastic, so I thought to myself what the hell? It is made from biodegradable tree rubber which is kind to the body and the earth. It also came with a travel size cleaner (won't be using that).


I was so excited to get to yoga class to try it out. But, I do not recommend this if you carry it around with you because this baby is HEAVY! The Eko Lite may be more convenient, but I was really looking for the extra cushioning as my knees are beginning to really hurt in most things that I do. Plus, this mat has a smell to it...yes, it stinks, but I think after a couple uses the smell will lesson or I will get use to it. I do love that it is super sticky though. I still may need to invest in a towel because I sweat heavily and it impedes my ability to stick to the mat at times. I also need to stay away from lotion for a few hours before class. Anyways, I do love the mat.



I started reading a new book that I may have mentioned called, "A life worth breathing" by Max Strom. I am only into the second chapter because this is not a book you want to skim. I want each word to resonate with me. It makes me excited to live. But, what I want is to live as authentically as possible. Sometimes it is hard to live authentically in this world full of fakeness. Living authentically means getting real with myself. What can I afford? What can't I afford? To whom do I really want to spend time with? Am I being genuine? Is this decision for me or is it for someone else? To whom will this decision benefit? I am realizing that a lot of the decisions have made in my life are to make OTHERS happy. I want others to perceive me well and I am a people pleaser. With every step towards enlightenment awareness is the first step. Now that I am aware that I make choices/decisions to benefit others I can be more conscious in choosing me. Yeah for Growth!

Maggie finally made it to the groomer. Groomer made dog look like a lamb=( Maggie is happy, I am not.


Because the banana bread was so fabulous last weekend I made it again, but this time I remembered to add the eggs (see last post for recipe). Banana bread still good with eggs, but not as moist...hmmmm.....I think I am on to something.

My nephews had a sleepover with me Friday night, so to celebrate I ordered pizza. Umm...bad choice. My stomach was a mess for two days, TWO days! No more store bought pizza for this gal again. Other than the tummy troubles the nephews and I had a great time. I got some good hugs in.

Today I ran 9 miles on the treadmill. I kept it at 6.0 for the whole 9 miles which is 10 minute miles. It felt pretty good and I watched a movie during the run, but my treadmill is really loud so it was hard to hear.

My momma brought over some corn from her garden. Yippee!



A girlfriend brought over local nectarines.

And these peppers came from our garden!


I am getting really excited for fall. I will begin my third year of my three year masters program. In nine months I will be a graduate!!!! I am also getting excited for the portland half marathon and San Francisco marathon. Lots coming my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment